Avery Dennison RFID aviation/baggage tagging solutions have proven themselves at two of the busiest airports in the world.
Why have Las Vegas’ McCarran International Airport and Hong Kong International Airport switched to an RFID system from traditional barcode labels? Let’s look at why an RFID tag-based system reaps significant benefits.
- RFID systems enable more accurate tracking of baggage through an airport and more efficient loading and unloading of planes.
- Airport RFID systems help reduce lost luggage and improve on-time departures resulting in lower costs and greater passenger satisfaction.
- With no line-of-sight requirement and the ability of RFID tags to be read while moving, in any orientation, from up to 4 feet away, RFID provides significant benefits over bar codes.
- RFID-based systems are more reliable, achieving average read rates of more than 97% compared to barcodes at about 85% on average.
- And, RFID baggage tagging can provide improved security with an additional level of identification and connection of baggage to the passenger.
RFID systems are also being used to help improve asset-tracking of airplane repair parts as well as life vests, first-aid kits and even seats.
Some airlines are even exploring the opportunities that near field communications (NFC)-enabled phones will provide to make the customer experience more enjoyable – from boarding the plane without paper documents to accessing special lounges and entertainment.
Here's how the Hong Kong International Airport’s baggage handling costs dropped from $7 to $4 per bag with Avery Dennison’s RFID inlay solution. Hong Kong International Airport Selects Avery Dennison, Motorola, and Print-O- Tape, Inc. to Enhance Baggage Tracking.
Update August 10, 2012: McCarran International Airport Expands Its RFID Baggage-Handling System.
Contact us for answers to your RFID in Baggage Tagging or the broader Aviation Industry questions or request samples via email or call us in the US at 866-903-RFID (7343), Internationally at +001-770-965-0807.
We look forward to bringing our experience, support and solutions to your RFID project!
Here are some of Avery Dennison RFID’s inlays for aviation baggage tagging: